Redding Police Department

1313 California Street

Phone: (530) 225 - 4200

In An Emergency: Dial 911!

Redding CA 96001

Fax: (530) 225 - 4553

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get a copy of a police report?

There are times when a police report may not be released. If a case is still under investigation (or other legal reasons) your request may be denied. Some reports contain confidential information that cannot be released. Reports may be released either by mail or in person during business hours. 

How do I get fingerprinted?

The Redding Police Department has a Live Scan fingerprint station for the purposes of pre-employment. You may also have your fingerprints produced on a fingerprint card (hard copy), to be mailed to the necessary agency. Anyone being fingerprinted will need to bring identification and a completed "Request for Live Scan Service" form, obtained from the employing agency. The Redding Police Department charges a minimum processing fee of $23.00 for Live Scan services, separate from any DOJ Or FBI fees. 

How can I arrange to go on a "ride-along" with a police officer?

The Redding Police Department Ride-Along Program allows citizens to become familiar with the Department. Interested individuals are permitted to participate after completion of an application/waiver and approval by the Ride-Along Coordinator.  View Brochure

I need a police case number. How do I get one?

Police case numbers are issued when a police report is made.  Call dispatch at (530) 225-4564 or make a report in person at the police department.  If you did not get the information you need at the time of the report, call (530) 225-4200.

I lost my copy of a "fix-it" ticket. How do I get another copy?

You will need to contact the Shasta County Court Traffic Division at (530) 225-5714.

How can I pay for a parking ticket, or file an appeal on one?

Contact the City Treasurer’s Office in City Hall, at 777 Cypress Avenue, (530) 225-4160.

How do I register a gun?

The police department does not register firearms.  Private gun dealers will complete the necessary state forms for you for a fee.

My car was towed. How do I find out where it is, and how do I get it back?

You can call the Redding Police Department at (530) 225-4200.  We will need the license plate number, when it was towed, and from where it was towed. To get it back, the registered owner needs to obtain a vehicle release at the police department.  If the registered owner does not have a valid driver’s license, he/she must bring someone with them who does.  Everything must be current with the Department of Motor Vehicles.  A fee in the amount of  $160.00 must be paid to the police department.  Additional fees at the tow yard may apply. Vehicle releases are only processed during normal business hours. 

How can I find out if someone has a warrant?

To find out if you have a warrant, come into the police station in person and identify yourself.  If you have a warrant, you may be taken into custody, or you may be cited & released. Warrant information is not given by phone. To find out if someone else has a warrant, call the court you believe has jurisdiction where the crime occurred.

How can I find out if someone is in jail?

Contact the Shasta County Jail at (530) 245-6100, or log on to their website.

Can I check someone's criminal history?

You can check your local criminal history for your record with RPD only. You must come in person and show identification.  If you want to check your statewide criminal history, contact the Department of Justice at (916) 227-3822. You cannot check anyone else's criminal history. It is not public information.  You can, however, check public conviction records at the Court, either in person or through private background investigative agencies.

How do I find out the status of my case?

Call and leave message for the officer/investigator assigned to your case. If you do not know the officer’s name, the Records Division can help you. Have your case number available.

I was arrested, but wasn't given a court appearance date. How do I find out if/when I need to go to court?

If you were not immediately charged with a crime, charges may be filed after the investigation is complete.  If a complaint is filed, the Court will mail you a Notice to Appear.  If the Court cannot locate a current address for you, an arrest warrant will be issued. If you are concerned about being charged with a crime, talk to the officer or investigator handling the case to find out more information.

My son/daughter was arrested. Can I get a copy of the report?

If your child was over 18 at the time of the incident, you have no right receive any information.  Parents of a juvenile defendant can usually obtain a copy of the report. If you are unable to obtain the report at RPD, you may petition the Juvenile Court Judge (1500 Court Street, room 219) for a copy.

I reported a crime, and the person responsible wasn't ever charged. Why?

The District Attorney decides whether or not to file a complaint. If your case was not filed, contact the District Attorney’s Office at (530) 245-6300.

Can I find out if someone has a restraining order against them?

The court that has jurisdiction of the restraining order may release information to you. RPD will not release that information.

Someone violated a restraining order, but wasn't arrested. Why?

The decision to file charges against someone is made by the District Attorney, not the police department. If you have a question about a case, contact the involved officer.

How can I find out the results of my blood alcohol test?

Your attorney will receive a copy of your arrest report when you appear in court for arraignment. RPD does not provide this information to you. 

How do I get my juvenile record sealed?

Contact the Shasta County Superior Court Juvenile Division, 1500 Court Street, room 219, (530) 225-5136.

Can my employer get a copy of my criminal history?

It depends.  Most government and state agencies can receive this information on prospective employees. Private sector employers will not be able to obtain your record from the police department. 

Does RPD offer child car seat inspections?

No. RPD no longer offers this service. Please contact the nearest CHP office for more information.

Can I post a "No Parking" or "No Trespassing" or "No Skateboarding" sign on my property?

Yes, but there are guidelines that need to be followed. Click here for an application and more information.

How do I recover found or held property?

The release of property is cooordinated with the Shasta County District Attorney's Office and the Redding Police Department Investigations Division. When a case is being adjudicated, all property associated with it is held as evidence. Property is releaesd by appointment only, during business hours.

How can I get a restraining order?

The best way is to contact an attorney. However, you may obtain a packet at the County Courthouse and file for a restraining order yourself. If you are a victim of domestic violence, Shasta Women's Refuge can help you. Once your restraining order has been issued, bring a copy of the order and the proof of service to the police department. Keep a copy for yourself; it shows the expiration date. A report on a restraining order violation cannot be made without that copy and the proof of service on file.

return to top
Questions?  Contact The Site Administrator